Experience is a brutal teacher. But you learn, my God, do you learn.

-C.S. Lewis



Stream In January

Stream In January

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Wild Mushrooms and More Rain

I know I sound like a broken record, but it's just rain, rain, rain. Too many inches to even keep track of anymore. We had tremendous thunderstorms last night between the hours of 10 and 2. Not much sleep going on. However, storms are cool to listen to here because we live in a valley between mountains. The thunder echoes off the peaks and rumbles forever. My garden is growing well in spite of, or maybe because of, the rain. The bees are working the tulip poplar between storms. I found these mushrooms this morning. The big orange ones have been growing for a couple of days. The little brown ones literally sprang up overnight. We don't eat wild mushrooms because I don't know which are safe. I'll stick to the shitake I'm growing.



There is a slug on one of the mushrooms in the picture above and a really pretty black and orange bug in the picture below.













I considered starting building an ark this afternoon, but have decided I need to add a super to Ora Bee and need to build frames. So I'm out the door to do just that. I'll post "Basic Frame-Building 101" tomorrow. :)





3 comments:

Paul said...

Nice photos of the shrooms. I also never eat a wild mushroom, just not worth the risk to me. I lack the education to absolutely know that the mushroom is safe. I checked the moisture content of my shitake the other day and it was 48%. I cut the logs this winter and I have never added any water to them, just capped with wax. I have yet to harvest any shitake yet. I am not really sure what I will do with them once I do harvest. Have you eaten any of your mushrooms yet?

Lynn said...

I did my logs a couple of years in my Master Gardener class. I only have 2 and really don't do anything to them. The mushrooms I get I usually saute with olive oil or bake with potatoes. Google "shitake potato bake" and all kind of recipes pop up.

Check out my post on February 27 titled Catching Up and click on the link to the pictures. My friends have an awesome set-up for bees and shitake log production, among other things. The 10th photo in the album shows all their logs stacked by the stream.

Bee Magic Chronicles for Kids said...

We've had tons of rain here too. I wish we could share the extra water with other places that are in drought. The distribution is never fair is it!