Experience is a brutal teacher. But you learn, my God, do you learn.

-C.S. Lewis



Stream In January

Stream In January

Monday, May 18, 2009

Spring? In The Mountains

The good news is that the drought if officially over. Of course it didn't exactly take a meteorologist to figure that one out. We've had rain in epic amounts since the first of the year. Over 8 inches so far in May. The bad news is that the temperature was 35 this morning and frost is predicted for tonight. I've been trying to decide if I want to try to cover plants in the garden, but have decided against it. There is so much growing, it would be impossible to cover everything. I'm just going to let Mother Nature take her course and see what happens. Although we had the coldest winter in recent history, my perennials look better than they ever have. The hostas have doubled in size from last year. The pink flower is a campion rose that my Mother and aunt shared with me a couple of weeks ago. I had a lovely visit with them and came away with a lot of treasures in the form of flowers, seeds and items my grandfather, Walter, had made. I'll post more on that later. By the way, Jackie, all the plants are doing quite well, including the money plant. Let's hope for the best tonight.

Hostas surrounded by our native, wild sunflower.



Potatoes are looking great. I'm also growing some in wire cages. Walter and Ora Bee on the hill.



My little garden angel smiling over more hostas. Hope she's not crying over a pile of mush in the morning. There's nothing worse than frozen hostas. Calendula is sprouting in the box behind her.



Daylillies, lettuce, hostas and phlox. All my beds are filled with a combination of herbs, flowers and vegetables.


One of my reasons for this blog was to record the name of everything I plant, the date on which it was planted and the date it germinated. I've been so busy in the past couple of weeks that I've fallen behind on recording that information in the sidebar. I hope to catch up soon. It's supposed to rain again by the end of the week, so maybe then.


Both Walter and Ora Bee are doing well. I've only been able to do one inspection, because of the rain, but the bees in Walter are making honey in the super that I left on for the winter so I added an additional super this past Saturday. The Tulip Poplar is blooming. Ora is not ready for a super yet. Hope to be able to check later this week. Again, depending on weather.





3 comments:

Paul said...

Good luck with the cold snap up there. It is going to be 60 tonight down here in LA.

vicree said...

What a fantastic garden! I could hardly believe my eyes. For sure, May and April pictures are miles apart. The BEES, Walter and Ora, may have inspired your gardening, but only love and dedication could have produced the glorious garden pictured here.

Lynn said...

I'm very fortunate to have acquired my love of the earth, and what it can produce, from the original master gardeners. What an education even if I didn't realize it at the time.