Experience is a brutal teacher. But you learn, my God, do you learn.

-C.S. Lewis



Stream In January

Stream In January

Monday, February 16, 2009

Greg Rogers at Smoky Mountain Beekeepers Meeting

We were fortunate to have Greg Rogers, a local professional beekeeper, to speak at our February meeting of the Smoky Mountain Beekeepers. Greg manages over 300 hundred hives and, like most beekeepers, is experiencing losses. He spoke of treating his hives with chemicals and also using softer treatments. The losses continue with both. I'm not sure there is a good answer to the ailments bees are facing right now. I will continue to treat organically. So far, my hive seems to be holding it's own. I know the numbers are small, but they are surviving this very cold winter and on days when the temperature permits, are out flying vigorously. Another cold, snowy week is forecast. Greg also demonstrated how to split a hive. I plan to do this in the spring if my hive is strong enough. I'm going to let them raise their own queen. I'm not keeping bees for honey production, but rather for pollination purposes. I don't mind if I lose some time while they are raising the new queen.

3 comments:

vicree said...

Just a quick question if I may?
While working in my garden this afternoon, I saw a couple of bees
buzzing around and wondered how far away they were from their home. Can you tell me if they stay within a given area or is the distance they travel determined by the available food supply?

Lynn said...

Bees will fly up to 2 miles to gather pollen, nectar, etc. When the scout bees find a good source of food they fly back to the hive and do their bee dance to tell the others where that food is located. Pretty amazing little bugs aren't they. I'm glad you're seeing bees in your garden. You kow how important they are for pollination. Plant some anise hyssop seed. They love the flowers.

MissJenny said...

You are doing such a good thing. The more I read about the hive losses, the scarier it gets. Go Walter Bee!