Experience is a brutal teacher. But you learn, my God, do you learn.

-C.S. Lewis



Stream In January

Stream In January

Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Mountains Where I Live

Someone asked by email how much in the mountains I live and I think these pictures give a pretty good indication. They were taken Monday, about 8 miles from my house, at the overlook between Jackson and Macon counties. I live in Jackson. Click on the pix for better views.


At the top of this picture, there is a big white house. Directly in front of this peak, which is Big Sheep Cliff, is Cashiers Valley. I am on the other side of this mountain. It's the one that shades my house in the morning. There was also snow on the peaks in the distance. That's the Blue Ridge Parkway. There was a good amount of snow in our northern mountains on Saturday night, but I'm told only a dusting in Cashiers. This is to the left of Big Sheep Cliff. The sheer rockface in the center is Hogback Mountain.




In the foreground and to the right of Hogback is Whiteside Mountain. Whiteside is a great hike and I hope to get there soon. Great place to take pictures of the whole valley and beyond. From the peak, you can also see South Carolina.




Because I live here, sometimes I forget how much I really am in the mountains. The weather has turned cold, several mornings now of low-20's, but the days are glorious. The bees are still flying on mild days, but the frost has killed everything that was still blooming and there is no pollen. I hope to be able to do a quick check on Sunday and reverse the inner covers to provide an air space and also to put on the grease patties for the winter. There is rain forecast for tomorrow and Saturday, but Sunday looks promising.


A. D., I hope this gives you a better understanding of where I live.




6 comments:

PhilipH said...

Great landscapes Lynn. A very healthy looking part of the world to be sure.

Forgive my higgerance but do the bees hibernate during the cold spells, or do they die? Or neither?

Kat said...

You live in a very beautiful place. I love the Smokies! Thanks for sharing it all with us.

Ngaio said...

I would love to see those mountains, I can imagine them in my head having seen movies set around those areas, but I would love to see them in autumn especially - one day maybe . .

Hey Lynn, my Barefoot Beekeeper arrived today - oh, maybe I should refrase that ( would be nice though haha), the book that is - I an beside myself with bliss - new books, nothing better - just wish I could stay awake for more then 15mins at night after I start reading.I also ordered from the same place, the series of lectures by Rudolf Steiner which also looks very interesting. I have alsways had an interest in Steiner principles - yah, I can`t wait to get the lawns done, house can wait, I`m reading !! TB hive looking extremely busy in the sunshine today, I might try opening it over the weekend.Sorry about the ramble, can you tell Im just a tad excited ??

Lynn said...

Hey guys, I do feel fortunate to have landed in a very beautiful part of the world.

Philip, thanks for your interest in beekeeping. When fall comes, a lot of the bees in the hive do die. Those that survive the winter do so by forming a tight cluster around the queen and fanning with their wings to keep the hive warm. Hive temp is maintained year-round at about 96 degrees. Bees do not eliminate any waste in the hive, so on mild days, they will break the cluster and take cleansing flights. That's a very condensed version of winter beekeeping, but I hope it answers your question.

Ngaio, a long email is coming your way soon. I've been crazy busy, but you know I share your excitement!

PhilipH said...

Thanks Lynn; your answer was succint and very clear - I'm so glad that these busy and lovely little creatures don't all die in the cold winters.

Phil

Paul said...

What awesome beauty. In Louisiana the highest point is less than 500 ft MSL. I love your photo's of mountains.